Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

The King of Petrified Mud!

Did you know that Jasper was petrified mud? Petrification is the term used when organic material turns to stone. Mud is just an organic soup (I like the way the word soup has been used in 2 of my 3 posting this year, got bead soup in the brain! can't wait!) that turns to stone, a process that takes over 100 years...

I love Jasper!

I love the variety of colors and markings found in Jaspers from different locations around the world. The wide range of colors and markings are caused by different combinations of various elements, such as Iron, Copper, Manganese, etc.

So what better topic to write about than to introduce you to the many lovely Jaspers available to beaders and some of the jewelry I made with these beautiful gemstones.

I start with the King!

Owyhee Jasper


Owyhee Jasper Necklace with Champagne Freshwater Pearls

Owyhee Jasper comes from the privately owned Owyhee Gem Mine in Southern Idaho close to the Oregon border, and obviously derives its name from the Owyhee River. The Jasper looks much like the desert landscape it comes from, and pieces with the 'blue sky' are valued higher than those without. You can see why it is known as the 'King' of Jaspers.


The blue and brown Owyhee Jasper looks great with Copper



These earwires are from Shels Jewelry Supplies handmade by Michelle. I love them!

5 comments:

elisabeth said...

Beautiful pieces!

Shel said...

Beautiful!! And, thanks for creating w/my earring wires!! :)

Susanna Originals said...

Sure doesn't look like mud when you get through with it! Beautiful!

Azure Accessories said...

Wow...I absolutely love the necklace...isn't is amazing how something beginning with mud can be so beautiful!!!

Thanks for the mud tidbit...I love to learn new things like that!

Cheers

KayzKreationz said...

I too love Jasper. If I find a set of beads I really love, I can almost guarantee it will be some type of jasper. I'd never seen the owyhee jasper though. It is gorgeous and the pieces you showcase are beautiful. Will have to look for some. I love knowing where it comes from, too. Didn't know that about jasper.

Related Posts with Thumbnails